Ok, so you jump on your server to find out what’s spiking the CPU. You open Perfmon.exe, and throw on your investigation cap. But wait one second – where is the Process counter? Where is the Process Information counter? GONE!
Luckily there is a simple fix. Follow the steps below, and you will be able to hunt down that CPU spike in no time.
- If you have Perfmon.exe still open close it.
- Open regedit.exe (Start > Run> Regedit) and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\PerfProc\Performance
- Look for the DWORD key with the Name of “Disable Performance Counters”
- Change the value from 1 to 0.
- Close Regedit.exe and open Performance Monitor again. Your missing Perfmon Counters should now be back.
That’s it! Now hunt down that CPU spike.